Research is obviously key to success at interview. When preparing for interview the majority of people look at the company website ( turnover etc ) and the job spec ( if they even have one !). On top of knowing your CV inside out, below are a few things that will provide you with a more comprehensive picture of what the role, environment and interview will be like, allowing you to prepare properly and tailor your answers effectively. Good recruiters will try and find these things out for you, although it can be difficult for them to get access to hiring managers to get this level of detail.....
1. Permanent / Full time / Contract
2. Reason for the vacancy
3. Background to the organisation – Location, Size, Culture, Key Clients, Areas of Specialism, Recent Events
4. Who are their main competitors?
5. What distinguishes them from their competitors?
6. Structure of the department
7. Who the role reports into?
8. People Management
9. Role responsibilities – Minimum of 5 key responsibilities
10. What is the breakdown of the role by % e.g 30% Commercial Work, 10% Employment Law, 50% Litigation
11. Key clients
13. Difference between your role and others in the department
14. People turnover within the department
15. Upcoming Project work. % project work
16. Career Opportunity and career path
17. Team Culture
18. Level of Autonomy
19. Basic salary range and realistically based on your depth of experience what should you expect if successful
20. Benefits – Annual leave, Pension, VHI, Hours
22. Level of flexibility
23. Who will be doing the interviews? What are their job titles and relevance to the role
24. What are their backgrounds i.e how long are they with the business etc
25. What type of interview will it be?
26. What are the key competencies of the role?
27. What is the style of the interviewers?
28. What should I expect?
29. How long with the interview be?
30. When are they looking for someone to start
31. How long have they been looking for this person?
32. How many have they interviewed?
33. How many more are they interviewing?
34. When will they be making a decision?
35. Where may my gaps be?
Career & Outplacement Specialist, CV Expert,Athlete Career Coach, http://www.careermentors.ie - firstname.lastname@example.org