Purpose of the Role: The Sales & Events Manager will be responsible for driving sales within the hotel and co-ordinating all bookings from initial enquiry to final preparation stage. The Sales & Events Manager will carry out on the road sales calls and will be the point of contact for any company/group wishing to do business with the hotel.
Reporting to: The Sales & Events Manager will report to Mrs. Yvonne Moriarty Group Sales & Marketing Director and will also have a line of report to Ms. Laura Moriarty Group Operations Director.
Direct Reports: The hotel Sales Co-ordinator will report directly to the Sales and Events Manager. The Sales and Events Manager may also delegate duties to the front office team from time to time.
Reports: The Sales & Events Manager will be responsible for ensuring the weekly Sales Tracker is up to date along with the Sales & Events Overview Report and Pick Up Report. Throughout the year other reports are required such as Competitive Set, Seasonal Trackers, etc…
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- To ensure that there is a comprehensive sales plan in place for the hotel which has been signed off by company Directors.
- To ensure that there is a strong data base compiled for the property detailing all potential business in the immediate and greater catchment area of the hotel.
- To ensure a strong line of communications with the Senior Operations Team and company Directors in general through agendas, sales meetings and department activity up date sheets i.e. changes to bookings etc.
- To establish themselves as the face of the hotel – the point of contact for any private individual or company who wishes to hold an event or make a group booking with the hotel.
- To be aware of what the competition is doing from a sales point of view, ensuring that we always remain competitive.
- The Sales & Events Manager should have a detailed schedule of all upcoming social, sporting, local and national events for the year compiled so that they can effectively plan promotions, etc. in advance and ensure they do not miss out on any potential business.
- The Sales & Events Manager will ensure that a weekly functions/events report will be distributed to all Managers/HOD’s at the beginning of each week so that each department will know what they have to have prepared for the event i.e. menu’s for kitchens, specific beverage orders/requirements, etc…
Functions & Events
- The Sales & Events Manager will be the point of contact in the hotel for all individuals making group bookings.
- All queries taken at reception will be directed to the Sales & Events Manager and Office Team – who will ensure follow through and all queries will be dealt with in a timely manner and receive follow up calls to chase the potential business, etc…
- The Sales & Events Manager will meet all clients who have booked parties and events and will co-ordinate all details with the relevant departments.
- The Sales & Events Manager will ensure a full follow up on the event with the client after the event has taken place.
- Any complaints etc. will be the responsibility of the Sales & Events Manager who will liaise with the Senior Management Team on any such issue.
- It will be the responsibility of the Sales & Events Manager to ensure that they always adhere to the budget as set for their department.
- The Sales & Events Manager will ensure that all deposits for events are paid on time and processed as per the correct hotel procedures and policies. They will ensure that all bills are printed, all details are correct and that the bill (if not pre-paid i.e. Restaurant bookings on occasion) is ready at the end of an event for payment i.e. Pro Forma’s are always up to date and accurate. They will ensure that all payments are processed as per the hotel’s procedures.
- Any outstanding bills for events will be followed up by the Sales & Events Manager as will any bills that were accrued as part of an event.
Sales Calls (phone and on the road)
- The Sales & Events Manager must ensure that there is a daily/weekly plan of sales calls to be made.
- There must be a daily activity sheet/report sheet which the Sales & Events Manager will complete weekly for the Sales & Marketing Director, detailing the outcome of all calls made i.e. business gained, interest shown, potential business etc.
- There must be a corporate sales call agenda (i.e. out to the property) in place, which has been agreed in advance with the Sales & Marketing Director. This should indicate the company’s to be visited, the contact, and the reason/objectives behind the visit. (The visits should be planned with the company where possible, in advance.)
- There should be a schedule in place to record information on these visits i.e. who have asked you to call again and when, who have you promised you will call back in a weeks’ time, etc…
- The Sales & Events Manager must ensure that they always have adequate supplies of sales material i.e. brochures etc... They must ensure that all information contained therein is relevant, up to date and accurate.
- Any sales material required should be discussed with the Group Sales & Marketing Director – who in turn will design and source same.
- Note: All materials being circulated by the Sales & Events Manager on behalf of the property must be signed off/authorised by the Group Sales & Marketing Director – as will any public communications on behalf of the property/group.
- Sales pitch material must be effective and delivered in a professional manner.
Special Offers & Promotions
- The Sales & Events Manager must ensure that they have a schedule of offers and promotions in place. Ideally all sales promotions and materials should be compiled and completely on a quarterly basis.
- Ensure that all special offers and promotions are communicated to all departments who are involved in the offer. Full training in the specials/promotions should be provided for reception staff/front office, etc…
- The effectiveness of all promotions & special offers must be measured – to gauge their effectiveness – business created – cost versus business gained from it, etc…
- The Sales & Events Manager must ensure that all details on websites etc for promotions/packages and special offers are regularly checked and updated. (Communicating with the Revenue Manager)
- To ensure effective use & management of the sales budget.
- To ensure that all reports are completed in an efficient and timely manner.
- To ensure that all objectives/budgets & targets set for the department are achieved.
- To maximise the exposure of the hotel within the market.
- To drive sales in the hotel through effective use of websites, sales personnel, advertisement, PR Company and other vehicles at the disposal of the department.
- To maintain the Groups Integrity always.
· The above list is not exhaustive; you will be expected to comply with any reasonable request or duties as directed by Sales & Marketing Manager and Company Directors.
NOTE: This Job Description is neither definitive nor restrictive and may be modified to meet changing needs. Additional direction may be given by the management which are not detailed herein.