FRS recruitment are currently recruiting for a Trials Officer for a grass seed company based in County Waterford. This is a full-time permanent role.
The Trials Officer will be responsible for managing both grass and forage trial plots. This role will also involve a certain amount of practical work including the operation of machinery.
Duties to include
* Effectively manage all research trials in accordance with industry best practice, ensuring accurate trial results are reported on a timely basis.
* Day to day management of the trials programme including interaction with R&D, breeders, DAFM, logistics staff, couriers, contractors etc. to ensure the trials programme runs smoothly and efficiently.
* Resource planning – striking a balance between available trial resources (staff, machinery, time, cost etc.). and desired objectives. The objective is to achieve the best result possible at best cost rather than minimising spend to the detriment of reaching objectives or missing opportunities.
* In conjunction with the GM and BSM, agree a process of gradual yet continuous improvement in our Trials Programme (for example increased use of technology to aid reporting, use of GPS device in tractor, other desirable/required capital investments and timeline etc. etc.).
* Keep the GM and BSM informed of any issues that arise (or are likely to arise) that could impact on the successful completion of annual trials programme. The integrity of the trials or the company’s reputation or the achievement of long term enhancement of the Trials Programme.
* Have a monthly meeting with the GM where trial progress is discussed, issues are addressed and plans and strategies agreed to ensure that the overall objectives of the Trials Programme are being met. Ideally the BSM should also be present or conference call into the meeting. Ensure that trials equipment and machinery is maintained in good working order and is available for use when required. Any significant issues that may impact on successful generation of meaningful and timely trials data must be highlighted immediately. The Trials Manager must take a hand on and proactive approach to problem solving and issue avoidance.
* Lead proactively in the variety selection decision making process. This process will necessarily encompass variety performance, strategic and commercial aspects and will require input from a number of personnel, particularly for decisions for the inclusion or removal of varieties from the RL trials.
* Ensure trials are conducted in a safe manner.
* 1-2 years’ experience in a similar role is a distinct advantage.
* Practical experience with farm machinery.
* Strong problem solving skills
* 3rd level degree or equivalent in Agriculture
Please email your cv through the attached link
Phone calls to John on 087 9955439