Finning (Ireland) Ltd
Number of Openings:
Working within Finning's industry leading field service department, and for the largest CAT dealer in the UK and Ireland, you will be at the forefront of the companies on site diagnostic and repair capabilities for Caterpillar products.
Operating individually or as the leader of a team of Marine Service Engineers and associated trades, you will execute the maintenance, overhaul, troubleshooting, repair, testing and commissioning (as the case may be) of Caterpillar and MaK engines, packages and systems installed in vessels (or on land in some cases) both in the UK, Ireland and abroad (world-wide)
Major Job Functions (individual contributions):
• Ensure and maintain a safe, healthy, environmentally considerate, clean and organised
working environment for one's self, the team and allied trades both on and off the vessel or work site.
• Maintain the relevant engine, package and system qualifications as delivered in the various training settings (on-line, classroom etc.).
• Keep abreast of and remain in adherence to Finning policies and procedures.
• Maintain an in-depth, working knowledge of Caterpillar information systems and the technical information therein.
• Keep abreast of the developments in technology, tooling and maintenance & repair procedures relating to Caterpillar, MaK and allied products, packages and systems.
• Troubleshoot and diagnose complex engine, package and system malfunctions.
• Conduct and conclude root cause analyses on complex engine, package and system failures.
• Execute the maintenance, overhaul, repair, testing and commissioning of engines, packages and systems.
• Lead a team of Marine Service Engineers and associated trades by providing direction, on the-job training and guidance as well as ensuring their wellbeing both on and off the vessel or work site.
• Liaise with the Service Controller to ensure the efficient execution of parts & tooling logistics, travel & visas and communications.
• Prepare troubleshooting, service and commissioning reports for both internal (Finning) and external (customer & Caterpillar) consumption.
• Liaise with the Customer in a structured manner, having ensured alignment of such communications with the Service Controller and Finning management as the situation requires.
• Customer Focus: Being successful means continuously paying attention to customer needs and adapting as these evolve. This heightens the importance of building strong customer relationships and delivering customer centric solutions.
• Cultivates Innovation: Paying attention to what customers want and need - new and improved products, services, solutions, and experiences. Taking initiative and collaborating with people who have diverse points of view. Embrace the mindset you and Finning are never done, never satisfied, never standing still.
• Drives Results: Infusing the team and organizations with a sense of urgency. Creating a culture where organizational performance is always top of mind. Communicating a vision, setting priorities, developing and executing plans that achieve the desired outcome for Finning.
• Courage: Being comfortable with the conflict that is inherent to being a champion of an idea or course of action. Meeting tough situations head-on to constructively resolve them. Saying what needs to be said at the right time, to the right person, in the right manner to effect change.
• Commercial Mindset: Understanding the business and paying attention to business problems (complex and less complex) from all angles. Applying knowledge of the business and marketplace to negotiate and structure interaction. Not only understanding key financial and commercial fundamentals, but more importantly how to incorporate a commercial thinking mindset into every major decision made.
• Decision Quality: Good decisions are based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgement. Making quality decisions while working in an environment where ambiguity and uncertainty are the norm.
• Situational Adaptability: Paying attention to circumstance and adjusting according. Being able to recognise the need to be flexible and act different because no two situations are exactly alike. The outcome will be ease of transaction and effectiveness of interaction.
• Develops Talent: Developing the team to meet both their career goals and Finning's goals. Creating pools of people ready and willing to take on new challenges and step up when needed.
• Hands-on experience in safety, health, environment and quality (SHEQ) processes and procedures.
• Team leadership, training, conflict resolution and wellbeing maintenance skills.
• Comfort in and ability to travel internationally (regularly), delivering results, often unaccompanied and largely isolated from support structures.
• Hand-on experience in operating, maintaining, overhauling, repairing, testing and commissioning medium & high-speed marine engines, packages and systems.
• Hands-on experience with electronic (DC), mechanical and electrical (AC) systems.
• Hands-on experience operating engineering diagnostic software and equipment.
• Hands-on experience reading and interpreting complex wiring diagrams and mechanical schematics.
• Analytical and problem-solving skills - breaking problems down into manageable components in order to prevail.
• Planning and organisational skills with the ability to work in high-pressured situations and to tight deadlines.
• Experience in driving improvements in customer satisfaction.
• Communication & interpersonal skills and the ability to foster constructive relationships both internally and externally.
• Letter writing, reporting (technical) and computing skills.
• Commercial skills - the ability to identify commercial opportunities (and risks) and articulate these to the business.
• Safety, health, environment and quality (SHEQ) principles.
• Management principles.
• International logistics and travel principles.
• Electronic, mechanical and electrical engineering principles.
• Medium & high-speed marine engines, packages and systems.
• Customer satisfaction principles.
• Commercial principles.
• Quality of risk assessments, method statements and other outputs as required by prevailing SHEQ practices.
• Compliance with company policies and procedures.
• Efficient time management ensuring that company utilisation and productivity targets are met.
• Quality of troubleshooting and diagnostic outcomes.
• Quality of maintenance, overhaul, repair, test and commissioning works.
• Quality of technical reports.
• Quality of customer relationships.
• Team morale and wellbeing.
• Formally apprentice trained (NVQ Level 3) and served engineer.
• LDV driving licence.
We are committed to diversity at Finning, to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Finning does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities
Email me jobs like this